Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Single "Temptress"? Puke.

Today I went to work after I had been off for two days on a much needed mini-vacation. I had to attend a pseudo graduation ceremony for parents who had graduated from adult school. A couple of months ago, a male parent complained to our school board about a certain program in our adult school and because the situation has been volatile we have had to micromanage the situation with increasing our presence at some of the adult school events.

About two months ago, the father came in to meet with my boss and I about the issue. Throughout the entire meeting, he was extremely flirtatious with me in front of my boss and actually asked me out on a date. My boss is a male and it made him very uncomfortable. The father continued to call and call until my boss finally told me that he was going to pass off the problem to one of my male colleagues. 

I usually would slap the hell out of the man and put him in his place, but I was kindly asked by people above me (who have been very good to me) to please control myself and not kick him in the shins over his behavior. So I kept my mouth shut.

Today I attended the graduation with my male boss and three of my male colleagues. I ran into the father who had complained. As we were leaving, the father came up to me and shook my hand. Then, he said, "Oh, I really like the way you look without your suit jacket. That shirt really accentuates your nice breasts".  I thought that no one had heard him and I didn't want to cause a scene by chewing him out in public, so I just stared at him and walked off.

When we got to the car, I told my boss what he had said and lo and behold the jackass told me that he had heard what the man said and he didn't know what to do. I told him that I am not going to turn the other cheek the next time that the man says something like that, so he better tell his superiors to expect that I might give the man a possible bitch slapping one of these days. 

You won't believe what my boss told me. He said, "Well, maybe it is because you are single? Maybe you would get more respect from men if you wear a wedding ring". That's so disgusting to me on so many levels. Needless to say, I gave my boss a piece of my mind and you can rest assured that he won't be saying something that stupid any time soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Of course men wouldn't bother you with a wedding ring on cause then you would be the property of another man (huge snark)...Total sexist bull..I don't know how you kept your temper as long as you did. Not only does the father need to be set straight but your boss as well. He is responsible for providing a hostile free working environment and he is failing miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how long I kept my temper as long as I did either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, sometimes, we men can be real pigs. The problem is that men need to have proper internal boundaries and limits, regardless of what is going on externally, but not very many men do, sad to say. I don't blame you one bit for giving your boss an earful; he deserved it, as did the other man...

    ReplyDelete